Monday, August 16, 2004

The full moon night

I have been thinking about setting up a blog to share my experiences as I gradually undergo transformation into an inviolate entity of flesh and blood in the flux of time. Well, philosophy aside, I finally succeed today at this very point of incarnation, which I'd like to call "The Full Moon Night" and voila, I'm able to pronounce Cogito ergo Sum (I think therefore I am). Hmm, too much of verbosity in any kind of writing spoils the mood of the writer and the reader as well, I know. But, to be very honest, nothing sells without a pinch of sophistication and I perceive it sacrosanct as a Management student to apply theories into practicalities in all aspects. OK then, am I trying to preach management in the lines of all the KOTLER diehards who swear by the 4 Ps, namely, Product, Price, Promotion, Place in my blogsite ?? No way, I find it hard to digest the Kotlerian principles, let alone apply them to something as banal as my blogsite.

I'm pursuing my MBA degree in Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (XIMB), one of the elite B-schools of India which also happens to have a fully wired e-campus, one of its kind in India and plan to specialize in Finance.

This morning it rained heavily in the campus forcing me to take refuge in the cosy precincts of the library. Retreating into my comfort zone, I snapped up the latest edition of the Newsweek to freeze my glare on a section which incidentally dealt with the latest technological advancements in the field of Mind reading. In California Institute of Technology abbrv. Caltech, a fMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) device has been deployed to analyze the cerebral activity concerning financial decisions undertaken by individuals from all walks of life. Cool, Uhh ?? The researchers have zeroed on the Ventral Striatum, Pre frontal cortex and Ventral medio cortex regions of the brain to understand how the electromagnetic stimuli emanates from these places to influence us. They have strategized an investment game called "The Ultimatum game" that lets two people decide how to split $10 between them so as to maximize the returns for either of them. The game implicitly brings into picture personality traits like Expectation, Inter-personal Trust, Risk-taking abilities along with economic/financial entities like payoff, expected utility etc. While playing the game under the apt surveillance of the fMRI device, a set of HMD (Head Mounted Displays), DataGloves connects the players to the device which subsequently lights up the cerebral areas mentioned earlier to provide rationale for the theory that it's the subtle complexity of the neural matrix that governs and regulates the way we decide and pass the judgement to our environment.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home